Facts About Mercy Housing
- Mercy Housing was founded in 1981 by the Sisters of Mercy, Omaha as a concrete, organized response to the affordable housing crisis in that community. Since then, we have become one of the nation’s largest nonprofit affordable housing organizations.
- Mercy Housing has regional offices across the nation that are responsible for the organization’s local real estate development, Resident Services and fundraising activities. Each office is directed by a regional board and a regional president.
- Mercy Housing provides loans to community developers through the Mercy Loan Fund, which has loaned $279 million that has been leveraged into $1.8 billion of affordable housing financing and 21,500 homes for 56,400 people.
- Mercy Housing Management Group, our professional property management division, provides services to maintain the quality of our properties and currently manages 17,400 units at 290 properties throughout the country.
- Through Mercy Portfolio Services we assist communities across the U.S. in addressing economic and housing crises through foreclosure purchase, redevelopment lease purchase options, asset management, land banking, education andresale at affordable prices.
- Recognizing that shelter alone is not sufficient for residents’ success and well-being, Mercy Housing offers Resident Services at our properties across the country. Strong Resident Services programming is one of the many things that makes Mercy Housing unique and contributes greatly to aleviating poverty.
- Honoring our founders, Mercy Housing is sponsored by nine communities of Catholic Sisters who support Mercy Housing by giving time and resources to support our mission.
- Mercy Housing has served more than 152,600 people in 41 states.
- We have participated in the development, preservation and/or financing of more than 48,000 affordable homes.
- 7,618 homes are currently in pre-development, construction or concept phase.
- Mercy Housing has developed more than $2.8 billion in affordable real estate.
- Mercy Housing employs 1,286 people nationwide.
*The infomation posted above was last updated in October 2015