Dec 13Breaking Ground at the Hub
Our work at Sunnydale HOPE SF is driven by our belief that the ability of young people to develop into successful adults improves dramatically with an affordable home in a safe neighborhood and the support to learn, grow, and play. At the heart of this neighborhood revitalization will be the new Sunnydale Hub, a space that will combine support for youth — from babies to teenagers — and a new family recreation center offering programming and amenities designed to foster community in one of San Francisco’s most diverse, but under-invested, neighborhoods. The Hub creates a much-needed place for these programs at a vital location, serving as a bridge between the Sunnydale and Visitacion Valley communities. The state-of-the-art indoor facilities will be surrounded by redesigned parks and open spaces.
The Hub Will Include:
- COMMUNITY CENTER complete with a teaching kitchen, study space with community broadband, spaces for a full slate of social events, workshops, and classes, and a living room for neighbors to meet and connect
- BOYS & GIRLS CLUBHOUSE that will triple the neighborhood capacity of Boys & Girls Clubs of San Francisco to provide 135 youth in grades K-12 with daily education enrichment, character development programs, and physical activity
- WU YEE EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION CENTER that, in combination with a new center on a neighboring parcel, will double the neighborhood’s total capacity to provide Head Start childcare and education programs to 150 children ages 0-5, and will add two new indoor learning spaces and outdoor play areas
- HERZ RECREATION CENTER to be owned and operated by San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department, including a full sized court for basketball and other sports with seating and a multipurpose room for events and classes
The neighboring ground-floor spaces at Block 3 will include:
HEALTH AND WELLNESS CENTER operated by the San Francisco Department of Public Health, ensuring that neighborhood residents of all ages can access holistic, affordable healthcare within walking distance of their home
NEIGHBORHOOD-SERVING RETAIL including a café and a grocer to address the severe lack of healthy, affordable food options in the neighborhood, as well as spaces for small neighborhood businesses
You may also like:
- Help Us Build The Hub Mercy Housing California’s Build the Hub Capital Campaign provides individuals, foundations, nonprofit partners, and businesses...
- What is Sunnydale Hope SF? San Francisco is one of the world’s greatest cities, with beautiful neighborhoods and a vibrant...
- What’s Happening at Sunnydale HOPE SF? Walking around San Francisco’s Sunnydale neighborhood these days, you can feel the excitement building. Dozens...
- Letter from Real Estate Director Ramie Dare I clearly remember standing in our office kitchen in 2008 and learning that the City...
Stay Up To Date
Get news on Mercy Housing and inspiring stories of change delivered to your inbox.