Mercy Housing Management Group
Mercy Housing Management Group (MHM) provides a national management support structure for the regional offices, which includes real estate accounting, compliance, facilities maintenance, information technology, human resources, education, marketing and resident services. MHM has a highly experienced team of specialists in each area, who ensure effective management of each of MHM’s properties. A partial list of the services MHM provides is included below. Owners may choose which services are most important to the success of their communities.
REAL ESTATE ACCOUNTING
In the Real Estate Accounting Department, MHM realizes that understanding and reporting on a property’s financial well being is critical in helping owners make informed business decisions which could impact the property’s future. Due to this, MHM is proud to provide owners with the following:
“Audit Ready” financial statements on a monthly basis
Financial Statements in accordance with GAAP, GAAS, Tax, Modified Cash or Cash basis
Monthly supporting documents which include rent rolls, AR & AP ledgers, bank reconciliations and statements, depreciation and amortization schedules and other documents as required
Narratives explaining the financial picture on a monthly basis
In addition to our monthly deliverables, MHM can also provide:
- A reliable and comprehensive budget for a property, including a capital budget based on the needs of a property. MHM's experienced financial services and management staff work with owners to ensure that these budgets are in line with their expectations.
- Consulting around tax treatment of costs related to development properties
- Job costing, cost cert preparation and tax to GAAP reconciliation for first year operating properties
- Coordination of year-end financial statement, audits and/or tax preparation, either with MHM's current auditors or an auditor of an owner’s choosing
- Ability to report and remain in compliance with HUD, RD, State and other regulatory agents
MHM has a strong commitment to the regulatory compliance needs of each property managed. The primary function of the Compliance Department is to ensure resident file compliance by providing periodic file testing, timely reporting, targeted training and staff support to assist in identification of compliance issues and development of corrective action plans to help further the mission.
In addition to on-going compliance functions, Mercy Housing’s Compliance Department also works to meet regulatory compliance during the funding and development phases. As multiple funding sources are layered into a proposed development, specific issues related to resident file compliance may arise. The Compliance Department provides:
- Feedback on the compliance requirements, reporting and impact of layering multiple funding sources with diverse requirements
- Review and approval of move-in files as resident units are placed in service
- Support to Area Directors along with monitoring tools to manage multiple compliance requirements
- Review of first year resident files for all tax credit acquisitions
- Periodic review of in-place resident files for all properties
- Compliance set-up of new properties in the software program
By effectively managing the compliance requirements at each of MHM’s properties, MHM upholds the owner’s reputation and meets the government regulations for affordable housing properties.
MHM believes that scheduled preventative maintenance is a proactive approach to daily maintenance tasks. It preserves the property and saves thousands of dollars in replacements and repairs. In each of the regions served, MHM engages a Regional Facilities Manager who reports directly to the Regional Vice President of Operations and ensures properties are following the policies and procedures. Facility Managers also work with on-site maintenance staff to ensure that preventative maintenance is addressed, scheduled replacement reserves projects are executed and pre-inspections are effective, resulting in successful inspections and management reviews.
MHM currently utilizes Yardi 6.0 as their property management accounting system. Yardi 6.0 allows rent rolls, which include resident information (security deposit and monthly rent) to be generated on a monthly basis. Mercy Housing’s Information Technology Help Desk and Yardi Help Desk support on-site staff with any software questions or issues. Payroll services are provided through ADP.
Human Resources are effectively managed at both a national and regional level in order to create and sustain a challenging and rewarding work environment for MHM employees. Services cover everything from recruitment and retention to incentive compensation. Mercy Housing’s Human Resources department achieves success through comprehensive recruitment, competitive compensation and effective management.
MHM supports employee development by offering a full curriculum of education courses. The blended learning program combines web-based, online and classroom training for site level employees and leadership development for corporate associates. The Education Department also works with Subject Matter Experts to develop the Operational Excellence Policies and Procedures Manuals and support resources. Our goal is to help employees succeed in their current role as well as prepare them to advance as new opportunities become available within the organization.
- Core Curriculum online - Fair Housing, Anti-Harassment, OSHA
- Classroom setting courses for site employees - Leasing & Occupancy Management, Collections, P.A.C.E. (Time Management), Physical Property Standards
- Leadership Development - Crucial Conversations™, Teambuilding Using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Influencer™
- Technical Training - Property Software, Microsoft Office and Web-based Training Systems
- Compliance - Training on regulatory programs from third party vendors and Subject Matter Experts in the MHM Compliance Department
MHM offers a broad spectrum of strategic marketing services to effectively advertise and promote properties and maintain required occupancy rates. Cost-effective marketing solutions include unique and uplifting collateral that drives qualified traffic, generates leases and increases cash flow. Regional Marketing Managers assist and support regional operations through property specific marketing and leasing efforts. Other services include:
- Marketing campaigns designed to help address specific property needs including lease-ups, rehabilitations and
challenging market conditions
- Professional national marketing collateral customized for each community
- Periodic market survey
Recognizing that shelter alone is not sufficient for residents’ success and well-being, Resident Services programs are often offered at the properties. The overall goal of Resident Services is to provide a platform for the success of the residents. Priority programs include health transition and advocacy, housing and financial stability, community participation and out-of-school-time programming for youth. Mercy Housing’s Resident Services operating principles serve as a strong foundation for working to help residents achieve their goals:
Resident’s needs are assessed as early as possible to ensure a smooth move to the property and to maximize resident motivation to engage services
Resident Service providers rely on trust, rapport, choice and convenience as strategies to engage residents in services, and services delivered are culturally appropriate
Resident Services providers implement research-based best practices and evaluation methods to continually improve services and deepen their impact. They develop and implement resources to enhance program delivery and impact.
Successful Resident Services are cost-effective, contributing to the financial health of the organization
Resident Services may be provided through Mercy Housing Management Group at an additional fee for Owners.