After School Programs
Kids need support to succeed in school and in life, which is why we offer Mercy Housing kids a place to go when their parents are at work, help with homework, anti-bullying education, leadership classes, sports activities, and much more!
Afterschool Kidzlit & Afterschool Kidzscience
The AfterSchoolKidzLit program is a reading enrichment program designed specifically for use in out-of-school settings, though it is also successful in the classroom. It increases young people’s motivation to read and builds their literacy skills. At the same time, it develops core values of helpfulness, fairness, personal responsibility, and respect for others.
AfterSchool KidzScience, a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) program, is designed specifically for out-of-school settings. Its purpose is to excite children about science, build science knowledge and inquiry ability, and help children learn important cooperation and teamwork skills.
To learn more about AfterSchool KidzLit and AfterSchool KidzScience, click here »
Peace Pals is an annual anti-bullying and leadership program that we offer to our youth. The class teaches kids to think before they act, tell an adult when they need help, be inclusive, and help and respect others. During the 12-week course, kids learn through arts and crafts, games, discussion, and reading stories.
- 52% of the children who participated in the Summer 2016 KidzScience program and completed a pre/post had a positive increase in their view of science.
- 21% of the children who participated in the KidzLit program and had a pre/post assessment indicated an increase their self-perception of how good they were at reading.
Challenges Facing Residents:
- Parents work after school, leaving children with little supervision or support
- Limited educational support for students who may be struggling
- Limited after school enrichment opportunities.
Opportunities Offered at Mercy Housing Communities:
- After-school childcare
- Homework clubs
- Summer programs for children
- Evidence-based reading and science programs
- Physical activity and sports programs
After-school Services Making an Impact: Meet Marco
“It is meaningful for me to give back because I was once the kid getting the help. My Mercy Housing community has helped me with my homework, provided positive role models, and assisted us with housing. I am grateful and want to give back.”
— Marco, who grew up in a Mercy Housing community, is always ready to help. Before going to college to study architecture, kinesiology, and Spanish, Marco helped with homework clubs, art programs, and weekly field trips to the pool, and organized soccer camps.
- Impact of Service-Enriched Housing on Health Outcomes – May 2014 results of resident services survey
- Health in Residence: Exploring Housing as a platform for addressing health needs – a joint report by Mercy Housing and The Colorado Coalition for the Medically Underserved
- Afterschool KidzLit Pilot – 2013-2014 Final Report
If you would like to help strengthen the lives of people in your community, consider: